Blog | Super Neat Beer Adventure, Yes!!
I Got Hops: Condzella’s Farm/Condzella Hops
Published: Friday, August 10, 2012
Condzella’s Farm got hops.
Cascade and Mt. Hood, precisely.
The family-operated, Wading River-based farm, spanning 20 acres and currently within its third generation of aliveness, produces asparagus, pumpkins, raspberries, and strawberries.
Now they got hops, too.
John Condzella planted one acre of hop rhizomes (roots cut from a mature Humulus lupulus’ central system and used to cultivate newsies) in March 2011, after researching climate conditions for different varieties. Selecting Cascade and Mt. Hood, Condzella harvested his first wet batch (wet hops are whole cones used immediately following post-pluck, to ensure the flower’s peak) on August 10.
“I was always interested in craft beer, and I saw an opportunity to supply something to our local brewers,” said Condzella.
Forty pounds of Condzella’s initial Cascade harvest were acquired by Port Jeff Brewing Company and used to brew an unnamed, wet-hopped pale ale on August 10.
The first-year harvest continues on August 11-12 (both shifts are 9:00AM-5:00PM and public-open).
- » “North of Normal: A Memoir of My Wilderness Childhood, My Unusual Family, and How I Survived Both”
- » Legendary Sportscaster Bob Wolff Makes Guinness Book of World Records
- » “Extant” Dishes Up Satisfying Seconds
- » Don’t Be Afraid of Coconut Oil
- » Elegant, Smartly-Designed Sedan Delivers Comfort, Speed
- » About Face
- » Auto Gigolo
- » Balancing the Scales
- » Bookworm Blog
- » Broadcast Views
- » From Studio to Show: Artists and Exhibitions on the East End.
- » Globetrotter Dogma
- » Gold Coast Style
- » Hampton Style
- » L.I. Money Matters
- » Music/Arts: Long Island Sound & Beyond
- » Music: Mixed Media Online
- » Music: Subterranean Sounds
- » New Music Thursday
- » Nibbles By Nic
- » Notes from the Boardroom
- » Orange & Blue
- » Pop! Goes The Culture
- » Post-Sandy Resilience
- » Pulse Point
- » Remembering Lou Reed
- » Socially Exceptional
- » Sports: The Hot Corner
- » Super Neat Beer Adventure, Yes!!
- » The Camera Eye
- » The Little Layover